Thursday, March 10, 2011

Does Kalamazoo know it's 2011? by Guest Blogger Jim

I can't believe we are in a city that supports a large University (Western Michigan) and we can't get on the internet using our wireless cards. As most of you know, we use the internet to keep in touch with family and friends, however in Kalamazoo we are pretty much like they are...out of touch.

For those who know me you realize I am about to "go on a rant". 

I have been to third world countries that had better internet access.

We are in Kalamazoo, Michigan...home of Tim Allen's alma mater...Western Michigan University. However, if you need access to the internet and do not have the security codes for a WiFi network, forget it. Neither AT&T or Verizon has a good connection here. It takes a couple of tries and about half an hour just to send an email. Surf the web? Forget it. If you aren't booted off, which is highly probable, it takes longer than my old dial up connection to load. Facebook...nope. Search for trucks? no dice. How's a guy to find a filipina bride with such conditions? And talk about frustrating, how about when you are dominating someone in a game of backgammon or poker and get the old disconnect icon? arrrrrrggg!!!! Oh well, maybe I can call Sarah the operator and she will connect me to Aunt Bee who will tell sheriff Taylor that I need to borrow Barney's bullet. I'm not that old...I saw it in reruns.

OK, enough of my diatribe. Except for the rain, cold, and internet, Kalamazoo is a fairly nice venue. Large theatre thanks to Tim Allen's generosity. City is pretty cookie cutter plain with few restaurants, unless you like Jimmy John's. Next up is the sprawling metropolis of Des Moines, Iowa. for the weekend. Don't worry Joan, I will keep an eye on Vince if we go to Iowa 80 T/S. Hello and thanks to the loyal followers of Joan's blog. See you on the road....Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment