Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Big Sky in May still means gloves and layers

Us in front of Big Sky Mountain

Chalets in Big Sky
Well I finally made it back to the truck.  My flights from Chicago to Seattle to Spokane were uneventful, but I do have one question.  Why do people who have boarding passes in the high B and C category get on Southwest flights, make their way all the way to the back of the plane then look at the flight attendants and ask - "What do I do now?" Seriously - here's an idea get in one of the many seats you passed on the trip to the back of the plane.  We were late getting out of Midway because eight people pulled that stunt.

My arrival in Spokane was a wonderful reunion for us.  I forget how much I love the truck until I get back in it.  Our trip to Big Sky was a lovely drive until we had to climb the mountain, because we got to do that in a driving rain storm.  The water was very high next to the road and just hours after we passed through a culvert became blocked by falling rocks and the road was closed for two days. Talk about your good timing.


We were in Big Sky, not some place Vince and the gang usually go, for the Asian Pacific Economic Conference (APEC) a governmental conference.  Vince was the lead driver on this assignment and in order for him to do it, we needed to go through what I believe was level one security background checks. Thankfully we were both approved, not that there was really any question about that, and so there we were  in Big Sky surrounded by mountains and oh yeah snow. One nice thing about the gig was that they provided Vince a condo for a week at the beginning - the first week of May and then for the weekend when we returned. Snow in the middle of May is just not my idea of a good time, especially when I found myself digging out my gloves Saturday night for Sunday morning's prediction of 32 degree temperatures.



However,the views were beautiful and after a rainy Saturday the sky opened up for two pretty nice days on Sunday and Monday.  I must confess that Vince did try to get me to go on one of the ski lifts on Sunday to get a better view but I was too chicken. I'm sure Elizabeth is not surprised since she has seen how scared I get on the sky ride at the Ohio State fair which is really not that high.  We are headed to Baltimore for a Friday load in and with a I-90 closed in between Harding, MT and the Wyoming border due to flooding, we are making our way via I-94. Which means I got to knock off another state North Dakota, that makes it 47 so far ,only VT and South Dakota of the 48 and Alaska left to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment