Monday, June 10, 2013

Excited to be back in the truck!


After a seven month hiatus from the truck to work on Mom’s house, I am happy to be back in the truck.  Over these last several months I accomplished a lot at Mom’s, thanks to Elizabeth and John, and also ended up with a job.  My bosses at the temp agency; Rick, Russ and Heidi decided that rather than sending me out on jobs, they offered me a position in the office.  They are still willing to let me go out these four times a year with Vince and so far it looks like it will be a win-win arrangement for all of us.

As everyone knows I love being in the truck, but the one thing I always fight while on the road is weight gain.  I have been on a big kick to lose weight at home and was doing well. But as my time to return approached I began to worry about back sliding on this trip. So I met with a dietitian to get some advice. She gave me all kinds of ideas on how we (yes, we) can improve our eating habits on the road.  Vince is always supportive of my efforts and willing to change if it will help me.  One of the steps we are taking is my cooking more in the truck. Vince found an induction cooktop that will enable me to do this and he even went to Bed, Bath and Beyond on Friday while I was working to buy the special skillet that is needed to go with it. 

We were so excited Saturday as we prepared to leave,  planning meals and pulling things from home and buying things at the grocery.  About five hours from home I was thinking about one of the meals I was going to fix when it suddenly hit me. I looked over at Vince and said “you know what we forgot?”  He looked at me curiously and I said “utensils to cook with”.  We had a good laugh and Vince said “looks like a trip to Wal-Mart”.  We got the utensils Sunday but not without still laughing at ourselves for not thinking of them.


Me, Ashley and Elaine
Sunday we were also able to have lunch with our friends: Jesse, Elaine and Ashley who live in Davis Junction, Illinois.  Jesse and Vince were friends when Vince lived in Illinois and after losing touch for awhile they were able to reconnect few years back ago.  I was able to meet them for the first time, last summer when I was out with Vince. Since this time our first stop is Madison, Wisconsin, we were once again able to catch up.  As everyone knows it is one of my favorite things about the road getting to see family and friends and today was no exception. 


Jesse and Vince
It is 12:18 am Monday as I write this and we are in Madison loading out Wicked.  It is pouring rain and we have already got to see a van get towed that its owner was dumb enough to park right across from the loading docks (I will remind everyone again - never park in an area near a theatre where the meters are bagged off – the trucks need to get in and out on load in and load out).  After that humorous story all I can say is it’s good to be back to the fun of getting the show on the road.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment