Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vince’s Homicidal Thought Moment

Happy New Year!
Currently, I am home working at an administrative temp job for two weeks, because honestly after years of working, the not working while at home thing started to make me crazy.  Not working at the beginning was fun, but it just wasn’t me.  The temp assignments are great because they are never longer than two weeks, keep my business skills sharp and allow me some much needed socialization.  The rest of this month will involve running Mom’s quarterly doctor appointments and preparing to join Vince at the end of the month on his new tour.  I am sure there will be plenty of stories to share as we head out to join up with this year’s drivers and crew.

Meanwhile, Vince headed out this week for Minneapolis then heads toward Charlotte tonight on a “spot move”. Spot moves are when drivers move shows that are too big to have individual drivers assigned to them all the time, like “Wicked”, “Lion King”. As he left I remembered that I had promised to share all of our previous homicidal thought moments especially what I believe to be Vince’s moment, so here you go.

In April, 2009, after a great week of dinners and touring with family in Atlanta, we traveled northeast and dropped our “Happy Days” trailer in a parking lot across from the venue in Raleigh, North Carolina.  The show wasn’t due to go into the theatre for another week, so when this occurs the trailers are just dropped in a lot.   We were next headed to Harrisburg for a quick stop before a big trip from Boston to LA.  We decided since there was no big hurry, we would stop at a truck stop in Virginia for fuel and dinner.  After dinner we would decide whether we would stay there or travel 75 miles up the road to a truck stop near the border of Virginia and Pennsylvania. 

As we entered the truck stop to eat an ominous feeling that I couldn’t explain came over me.  You know that feeling you get that something is seriously not right.  Initially I thought the feeling would pass, but as dinner went on, it got worse and I just knew I couldn’t stay there for the night.

 Over the years I have found that not ignoring these feelings has served me well. These feelings have helped me avoid bad situations and once even helped me prepare for an unexpected and shocking death.  But just as I came to the conclusion that I did not want to stay there, Vince stated he thought he had a fever and may be getting a cold.  I looked at him and blurted out “but we aren’t staying here right?  We are going to go on?”  My husband looked at me as if to say, did you not just hear what I said?  I knew what the look meant, but I just started rambling on that I just couldn’t stay there, that I had this feeling I couldn’t explain and I wanted to go.  The way he looked at me made me believe he was having a homicidal thought.

However, being the great husband that he is, Vince agreed to head up the road the additional 75 miles.  Now I did ask him if he was sure he felt up to it and he assured me he was.  But, I’m not sure what I would have done if he said he really didn’t feel up to it, and thankfully we will never know. Don’t get me wrong I felt bad that I wasn’t being more compassionate to my husband but I could not stay there and to this day I don’t know why. 

The trip to the next truck stop was uneventful and thankfully we were able to easily get a parking spot, because trust me if that hadn’t happened this moment may have escalated. When we arrived at the truck stop I felt comfortable, happy and relieved.  Although Vince swears he didn’t have any negative thoughts about moving on.  I know the look I got was not the loving understanding one I usually get when I ask him for a favor, but the one I get when he is really not happy with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment