Sunday, April 3, 2011

Change - A Big Part of Trucking!

While my return to the truck has been delayed that doesn’t mean that I am without an update. Although Vince and I thought we had a plan for the next six months of where we would be and when we would be there, that all changed when Vince and the other drivers were informed that the tour has suddenly been canceled, and now will end after the show goes into Radio City Music Hall on April 14 th

Change is a big part of trucking and while there were times in the past when I did not do well with these kinds of changes, I now roll with them in a much better way.  I’m pretty sure that in the past when Vince had to call to tell me about a change that meant he wouldn’t be coming through or that the arrangements for me to be with him were now changed, he probably looked at the mute button on his phone and thought about pushing it.

Yes, this cancellation now means that we will go back to having no idea what his income will be each week and planning my time out will be trickier because we will be working around an open schedule.  I am still confident it will all work out.  The Clark dispatchers, especially Kevin, are great at working with us to get me in and out of the truck and as far as the money goes, that is the life of an Owner-operator.  No week is ever the same unless a driver is hauling freight on some type of dedicated route (meaning the driver goes to the same locations every week) or in our case on tour. Also with many individuals out of work and struggling to make ends meet, we have nothing to complain about, these adjustments are mere speed bumps in our life that we always work through.

I am confident we will be together soon and still get to see the family members we would have seen had the tour continued as scheduled. Thankfully many of our family and friends live in big cities that are great supporters of the arts.  We also may get to see others that were not on the tour. After all, this week Vince was able to arrange for our great-niece Hannah to see the show while he was in Indianapolis.  Last year's tour canceled the Indy shows right before it was to get there, leaving poor Hannah very disappointed. Thankfully this year's cancellation didn't impact our plans for Hannah. Also, this weekend Vince got to finally meet and have lunch with our niece Rosaleen and her fiancĂ© Steve while he was in Minneapolis.

But most importantly after freezing my behind off this past winter in the truck, you can bet I plan to return to the truck by May, so I can enjoy the fun and comfort of traveling in warm weather.  In the meantime, I ask that you hang in there with us, because I am sure Vince will have a story or two on his travels and it won’t be long before I will be once again sharing our travels and challenges on the road.    

No comments:

Post a Comment