Thursday, April 21, 2011

WOOHOO! A day trip with Vince!

Vince made it home Tuesday for what we thought was only the evening, but thanks to a change in his dispatch, he is home until Saturday.  (See there are times when change is good.)  His initial dispatch was for him to travel from Rochester to Dayton to drop a Lion King trailer, then off to Orlando.  Now after dropping in Dayton, he is headed back to NYC to do the final Madagascar load out with Vic. 

So yesterday morning I got the opportunity to jump back in the truck for the day and travel to and from Dayton.  While this may not sound like an exciting trip to most, it was wonderful for me.  I realized as I got into the truck for the first time in seven weeks how much I miss riding in the truck and more importantly how much I miss Vince when we are apart.

As I climbed in the truck the smells of diesel and the interior of the truck were overwhelming.  I forget sometimes how strongly a sense like smell can comfort you and bring you back to a good place.   As I adjusted my seat and fastened my seat belt I felt nothing but excitement.  I was really getting away, even if it was only for a few hours. I’m sure the chance to escape life even for the day is always part of it, because lets face it we all love getting away from our lives now and then.  But I think for me being with Vince is the best part of getting away.  Believe me it’s not the, I like having a man around thing, because trust me I did fine for years without one.  It is Vince who is calm and funny and thankfully loves me no matter how crazy I get.    

As we headed across I-70 West I was like a kid again, looking around at all the scenery passing by and just enjoying the ride.  When we got to the drop yard in the Dayton area, two Clark drivers were in the yard.  There was Angelo, who I had not seen in a year and a half and Steve who I hadn’t seen in over two years.  Angelo is from New York. He and his two daughters, that were in the truck with him one summer, traveled with Vince and Vic around California and then back to the east coast.  They all had a wonderful time and we have so enjoyed watching the girls grow up through Angelo’s updates.  Steve lives in Indiana and his wife Lisa follows along with us on our adventures through the blog and Facebook.  The four of us stood around getting caught up for almost two hours. Then it was time for us to head home and for the guys to get settled in somewhere before their Sunday load out in Cincinnati.

On the way home I realized how much I miss the road.  I love my family and I’m thankfully for the home time, but the time with Vince traveling across the country is just so wonderful.  It may be that splitting the time between the truck and home makes me love the truck time more. Who knows if I were in the truck all the time, maybe it would get old and the homicidal thoughts would out number the fun time.  I know someday I hope to find out for sure.  But for now I will continue to count down the days until I return in mid May to my husband and our adventures on the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment