Tuesday, June 2, 2015

My Summer Trip 2015 – So far one of us has a scratched cornea and the other went bump in the night


Saturday I returned to the road after dealing with my sadness and grief of helping our Mom over the last year get admitted to Hospice and then onto heaven in January.  It is now time for me to return to the road with Vince and once again share our adventures.

The plan was that we would go to breakfast and a morning movie with Elizabeth (our daughter) before heading out in the afternoon. Plans are funny things aren’t they?  On Friday night Vince asked me to look in his left eye to see if something was in.  It had been bothering him since he had been on the lot where we keep the truck when he is home.  He felt there might be something in it.  I looked and saw what I thought was something near his iris but wasn’t sure.  We got drops for it and they seemed to help but by the next morning his eye was redder than the night before.  I suggested he could call our doctor to see if he could get in to see her.

However, Vince thought it was better so we went to breakfast and the movie.  At the theater I noticed Vince touching his eye though out the movie. When the movie ended I told him to take us home so I could finish packing up and he needed to go to our CVS Minute Clinic.  I was expecting an argument but didn’t get one which told me this may be serious. 

As I was packing I had a feeling in the pit my stomach that we may not be going. We only get one set of eyes and I was worried that something very serious was going on. Also, I knew Vince would not want to abandon his dispatch to Milwaukee so I just kept hoping it was nothing serious. When he called from the Minute Clinic to let us know he was being sent to Urgent Care because they couldn’t handle foreign object in his eye, I was afraid my hopes were about to be dashed.

Fortunately about 40 minutes later, Vince called to say it was a scratched cornea which thankfully only requires him getting drops every four hours for the next seven days.  We picked up his prescription while getting our grocery for the road and left for Milwaukee Saturday evening. Between the storms in the Midwest and Vince’s eye hurting we did not get as far as we liked, but still had plenty of time to get there. 

That night I found that settling down in bed was much easier than it has been over the last four years since I no longer worry that the phone will ring in the middle of the night regarding my Mom.  It has been an adjustment I have greatly welcomed even though at times I have found it to be bittersweet.  But settle in I did, because I apparently went into a deep enough sleep that I rolled over in the middle of the night so hard that I slammed into the wall of the truck.  Talk about being stunned, it took the breath right out of me.  At first I had no idea what had happened but quickly realized I was in the truck.  Had I been home I would have found myself hitting very hard on a hard wood floor, so needless to say I am glad I was in the truck. 


Despite our trip starting out with a medical emergency, which Vince is recovering from very well and my making a painful adjust to being back in the truck.  I wouldn’t trade any of it and am looking forward to sharing our travels.  First up – Milwaukee to Buffalo.

No comments:

Post a Comment