Thursday, June 11, 2015

Six and a half hours to go 188 miles

Front of theatre in Providence
We made it to Providence and I am happy to report I did not have to retreat to the sleeper at any point during the run.  As you can see from the picture it is a tight squeeze behind the theatre. While it was a long run it went much better than I had anticipated.
Back loading of our trailer behind the theatre

At 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, after dropping the trailer in the Pawtucket lot, we headed down I-95 to Secaucus, NJ. We were tired after the run from Grand Rapids and were glad we would be arriving at a decent time in Secaucus for me to fix some dinner, take showers and sleep before having to be up in the middle of the night to go into NYC. Well you know how things go for us at times. 
 
Lovely day for a drive in CT





The trip across Rhode Island and Connecticut resulted in some slow downs but none very significant.  As we entered NY I was surprised to find traffic flowing pretty well and was confident we would make it to Secaucus as planned.  Then six miles from the GW bridge (which in case some of you don’t know crosses you over from NY into NJ) we came to a grinding stop.  It took us over two hours to go those six miles due to an accident on the GW.  The picture accurately reflects what we looked at for the two hours.
Our view for over two hours trying to get to the GW

We arrived at the yard in Secaucus just after 8:30 p.m.  Too tired and now time crunched we ate Triscuits with cheddar cheese and pepperonis on top while taking turns showering.  It was good to shower and honestly the Triscuits were enough to eat for both of us that late in the evening.

We learned that the lead driver and our friend Angelo was going to be returning from a run to Harrisburg later then the time we originally thought we would be leaving.  Vince let the other drivers know how Angelo wanted them set up in the city.  The other drivers left at the original designated time while we chose to wait for Angelo.

When Angelo arrived and Vince was ready to go, he opened the curtain to let me know.  Usually I am dressed and up in the seat but all he got that night from me was an “okay”.  I was done and had no desire to get up. It didn’t mean going to sleep though because the roads leading into and through the city are so bad that there was no way of sleeping.  So I just bounced around, but I didn’t care because I was comfy under the covers.


Next up NYC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment