Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Found Rain, Ice, Sleet and Snow on Our Way to Toledo

Just like everyone in the Ohio Valley, we saw every type of precipitation known to man on the way to Toledo.  As we went around 270 in Columbus at 7:00 pm last night, we saw over a dozen cars on both sides of the road.  Some were even pointing at us, which trust me will get your heart raising when you fear someone is traveling the wrong way on the freeway.  We were shocked by the number of cars on the roads in such terrible road conditions.  Where could they all have been going on a Monday night in a ice/sleet/snow storm?

We never made it above 35 mph on Rtes 23 or 15 and conditions weren't that much better on 75 or the Ohio Turnpike..  We saw seven plows pass us on the southbound side of 23 but not a one on the northbound lanes.  The winds were so strong that the road was down to one snowy lane several times.

However, I wasn't scared at all.  I believe my three winters on the road have taught me a great deal about speed and caution on slippery roads and even more importantly my confidence in Vince's driving keeps me calm.  I trust him in every situation, especially after he avoided T-boning the drunk driver that went out of control in front of us last year on our way from Raleigh to NJ. Then he got us far enough out of the way that when the guy came off the wall and back at us, the car only went under the very back corner of the trailer. He saved us and the drunk driver who was over 3+ times the legal limit that night, because if that car would have gone directly under the trailer that night at that speed, that guy would have probably died.

Needless to say we are less than thrilled with our rude welcome back to winter.  Tonight we are in Toledo then head for Columbus tomorrow night, where the show will be for the weekend.  I head back to home life Sunday night, while Vince and the boys head out for Peoria.  I am hoping to get Vince and Jim to be guest bloggers for me while I am home so stay tuned, because you never know what these guys will come up with on their travels.

1 comment: