Monday, February 7, 2011

My Boys and the Load Out in Steeler Nation!

(From L to R) Matt, Jim, Vic, Greg, Vince
 It is always nice to have faces to go with names. So last night I got these pictures of the drivers that you will be hearing about over the next six months.  Matt is a sweet guy from Kentucky who is a great mechanic.  He is the strong silent type who is really funny when he does pipe in with a comment.  Jim is our wisecracking Texan who keeps me in stitches.   He is always up for exploring the cities and finding new restaurants with us.  Jim and his second seat Bo Bo love their sports and have a satellite so they can keep up on all of them.  Vic our elder statesman since he has been moving the show the longest is from Pennsylvania. He taught Vince the ropes when he started with Clark in 2003. Vic also called to check in with Vince during his dad’s illness and when Vince was recovering from surgery in 2007 which I greatly appreciated.  Greg also from Pennsylvania is always asking questions and I do mean always, many times the same questions.  He is the self appointed inspector of all the trucks and trailers.   

Since Vince is the only married guy of the group, that makes me the only “skirt” (One of Jim’s references to me on last year’s tour) on the tour.  I love it because at times they treat me like one of the boys and at others because these gentlemen have great manners like a lady.  Bet the trucker stereotype might have prevented some of you from seeing that coming.  So these are “my boys” who keep me in stitches with their stories and who I know would protect me should danger strike. 

Bo Bo ready to drive should Jim need him
Vince and Jim in the cold at Pittsburgh - That's the reflective tape on his jacket not Jim's aura
Happy to report the load out in Pittsburgh went smoothly.  Load out started at 3:30 pm.  Matt and Jim were gone by 5:30 p.m. and by that time the grumbling of the local crew started to became apparent.  The theatre people were also definitely in a hurry to get us out of there as well. Vince and I were out of the alley behind the theatre by 7:30 pm and Greg and Vic weren’t too far behind us.  The downtown area was not busy when we arrived at around 1:00 p.m. and became a ghost town by kickoff.  Our trip across the PA turnpike also reflected the loyalty to the Steelers because we mainly shared the road with only truck drivers.

Right after I took this photo the load on the forklift took out a light at the top of Jim's trailer.
 We are now on our way to Norfolk for a 5:00 am call time on Tuesday morning.  Hopefully we will find warmer weather there. Stay tuned. 


Matt's Old School Cabover

Jim's Peterbilt

I will get close up pics of Vic and Greg's trucks in Norfolk since I didn't in Pittsburgh


1 comment: