Sunday, February 13, 2011

Houston – 1362 miles, an Aquarium, NBA game and 60 degree temps

 
The Hobby Center
 1362 miles is what the boys covered from Wednesday to Friday.  I am happy to say that I was awake and cheering Vince every mile.  It is amazing to see these guys at work. Matt who is first out of the dock, shared that he went through white out conditions in Georgia, but thankfully none of the rest of us did. I must admit when we had 8 hours + to go and over 450 miles to cover, I did share my feelings that we were never going to get there.  That’s when Vince got to play cheerleader and tell me we would get there.  It was a long trip and while I have covered more miles then that in the past, it was never in that short period of time.

Despite all the driving, on Friday night as we were preparing our grocery list, Vince actually suggested that we go to the grocery that night.  I was all for it, because it would open up Saturday and Sunday for us to relax. So off we went to the Kroger about 15 miles from the Hobby Center.  While there we noticed that they are really not into healthy eating in that area.  We were only able to find one type of 100% whole wheat bread; the produce section was half the size of ours at home; there was no healthy granola cereals or Simply Jiff peanut butter.  We were laughing all the way through the store about what we wouldn’t be able to find next.  I just love discovering those subtle differences in the regions.

Houston's Downtown Aquarium

Ferris Wheel next to Aquarium


 Since this was the first time I had been to Houston for any length of time, I was excited about the opportunity to explore the downtown area.  In the past we have just shown up for load out then we were off to the next city.  The Hobby Center is on the north end of downtown Houston. The downtown Aquarium was only about two blocks from us so we decided to visit it.  While it is very small it was fun and once again Vince could identify the fish in the tank and then tell me something unique about it at every tank.  Katie, Patrick and I still talk about the time he answered every question correctly at the Gecko exhibit at the Georgia Aquarium and was able to give the explanation for the answer exactly as it was on the display.  He amazes me with his wealth of knowledge.

Tranquility Park

Tranquility Park
 After the aquarium which I recommend you buy your tickets on-line before going, we went to lunch at the Hard Rock.  After lunch we sat for a while in Tranquility Park which is across the street from the Hobby Center.  It was funny because as we sat there we made the observation that there was not a cloud in the sky at the same time.  Tranquility park was just that, very tranquil so it was nice to just sit in the sunshine  Next we headed several blocks over to a mall, only to arrive at 2:45 pm and learn they closed at 3:00 pm.  However, on the walk back there was no complaining, because with the temperatures in the 60s, trust me it was wonderful stroll.

Toyota Center - Pregame

Mavs v. Rockets


In the evening we joined Jim in a 12 block hike to the Toyota Center for the Dallas Mavericks versus the Houston Rockets NBA game.  We got great seats at center court in the 22nd row.  Jim is a big Mavericks fan so I was glad he had the opportunity to see them play in person.  We went to a Timber Wolves game in Memphis last year which was fun, but for Jim to get to see his team win, in person, was great.  We had planned to cab it back after the game, but the walk to the game hadn’t been that bad so we walked back instead.  Needless to say Vince and I got our exercise in on Saturday.

This evening we will load out of Houston and head to Birmingham for a Tuesday morning load in. I am glad to only be traveling 660 miles. Also this will be my first trip to Birmingham so I can’t wait to share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment